Applicant handbook and annexes
Detailed advice on how to apply for a grant from the MRC.
The handbook covers:
- Who can apply?
- How to apply?
- Financial support
- Preparing a ‘case for support’
- Special considerations (ethics, use of animals, human tissue etc)
- Assessment criteria for grants
- Assessment by research boards
- Scoring system
- Appendix 1: Full Economic Costing
- Appendix 2: MRC statement on bioterrorism and biomedical research
Additionally some grant schemes have annexes which must be read in conjunction with the applicant’s handbook:
- Developmental Clinical Studies
- Discipline Hopping Grants Annex
- MRC Industry Collaboration Agreement (MICA) Annex
- New Investigator Award Annex
- Partnership Grant Annex
- Programme Grant Annex
- Trial Grant Annex
Terms and conditions
There are two sets of terms and conditions that grants applicants must abide by: MRC terms and conditions and those of the Research Councils UK (RCUK).