Breadcrumb links


Grants - award guidance

Post-award administration of all grants and fellowships is carried out by the RCUK Shared Service Centre. Award documentation is prepared by the Grants Pre-Award team. Once the award has started, all administration is carried out by the Grants Post-Award team.


You can use the Research Councils’ Joint electronic submissions (Je-S) to manage your current MRC grants. We would like all grant holders to use Je-S in this way to request:

  • Update of Research Organisation grant reference
  • Grant title change
  • Grant extension
  • Extensions to deliverable due dates (for example, final expenditure statements)
  • Grant suspension
  • Grant resumption
  • Grant termination
  • Grant transfer
  • Grant holder change


You can also make a ‘generic change request’ for any other type of change not covered in the list.


Instructions on how to use Je-S to make these requests are available in the Je-S help text. You’ll be notified of the outcome of your request via email rather than through Je-S.


MRC does not routinely extend awards, except for maternity leave, gaps in employment or staggered start dates. Extensions for these reasons may be requested in Je-S.


In exceptional circumstances, where delays have been encountered which were outside the control of the grant holder and which seriously threaten delivery of a significant proportion of the science outlined in the original application, we may consider extending the grant. In these circumstances, a grant extension should be requested in Je-S.


Extensions will not be granted to use up underspend, start new scientific work that was not outlined in the original application or to prepare new grant applications or publications.


Contact Us
  • Comment?
  • Question?
  • Request?
  • Complaint?

Get in touch