Safety, Security and Resilience (SSR)
The MRC attaches great importance to effective health and safety management. The Safety, Security and Resilience (SSR) team provide central planning, policy development and compliance assurance as well as a unit support role. Each member of the team has expertise in a particular scientific discipline (chemistry, radiation, microbiology, genetic modification) as well as a range of different SSR competencies which may be called upon by any unit.
In this section
- An introduction to safety, security and resilience, including our standard disclaimer.
- New and general updates from the safety, security and resilience team.
- Health resources
- List of safety, security and resilience resources on the web.
- Health and safety policies
- The MRC corporate safety, security and resilience policies.
- Policies and guidance
- Policy and guidance documents covering biological, chemical, environmental, radiological, welfare and the working environment.
- Monitoring and auditing
- Shortcut to some of our online tools and checklists.
- Information on SSR training courses, including registration details and locations.
Revised Policy and Guidance on Accident Reporting has now been published for the attention of local safety personnel, first aiders, accident investigators and senior management with responsibility for accident investigation.
Revised Policy and Guidance on Security has now been published for the attention of local security personnel and senior management responsible for security.
Revised Policy and Guidance on Electrical Safety has now been published for the attention of local safety personnel, maintenance managers and others with responsibility for electrical safety.
MRC has published advice on managing laboratory equipment which contains radioactive sources. The advisory note takes into account recent changes in environmental permitting requirements.
The MRC has published a revised version of the Code. The new version strengthens our position on the wearing of personal protective equipment, including laboratory coats.
30 November 2010
Revised policy and guidance documents for opening and vacating MRC managed premises are available.
27 October 2010
Eye protection: A guide to provision and use - download booklet
Decommissioning a MC40 Cyclotron
The MRC has recently decommissioned its MC40 cyclotron. This £2.5 M project was completed on time and within budget with over 70% of the cyclotron materials and plant being either reused or recycled. A video showing the methodology used to decommission a 40 MeV medical research cyclotron is available on the MRC's YouTube Channel.
13 September 2010